These resources were shared during the Ready, Set, Get Back to Business symposium May 12-14, 2020
Panel 1: Moving Forward Through Export
Facilitated by: Jennifer Cooke, Corporate Lead, Women in Trade, Export Development Canada
Panelists: Caron Hawco, ABC, PMP, ICD.D, CITP, President and Lead Consultant – Caron Hawco Group Inc.; Jessica Baudin-Griffin Creator/CEO, Intellidance®; Amber Kivisto President, BioNorth Solutions
– Look for opportunities. If someone tells you about an export opportunity that fits with your business, take it.
– Learn your new market’s culture.
– Take currency differences into account. Will your business profit from the market you’re considering exporting to?
– Get help. Women’s enterprise centres, economic development agencies and government programs like CanExport can support you.
– Use technology to stay relevant in distant markets. Contact clients through video calls, upload content to YouTube and social media, and keep your website up to date.
– Bring a partner to trade shows for extra support.
– Think long-term. Will exporting to this market benefit your business in the future?
Quotes from the session:
“It’s about looking at trends and things that are required.” — Jennifer Cooke
“You’re only as good as your last project.” — Caron Hawco
Related article: Women investing in women: A diverse ecosystem for trade
Related article: Local brewery to produce hand sanitizer