These resources were shared during the Ready, Set, Get Back to Business symposium May 12-14, 2020
Session 2: Protecting your Mental Health for Business Decision Making
Session overview: As a business owner, it’s critical to actively manage your mental health so you can make good decisions and take action. Whether in a pandemic, another crisis and even everyday leadership. Instead of swirling in negativity and panic, we need to think and act strategically and critically for our employees, family and ourselves.
Presenter: Jenifer Horvath, business advisor, Alberta Women Entrepreneurs
A few tips from Jenifer:
“Try to find some compassion for the people who you’re working with and check in with them.” – Jenifer Horvath
- Try breathing exercises when you’re stressed. You can breathe in the flowers (through your nose) and blow out the candles (through your mouth).
- Get some exercise. Jenifer does yoga while watching Yoga With Adriene videos on YouTube.
- Limit your news intake.
- Listen to music.
- Write out your thoughts. Some people prefer pros and cons lists, while others like to journal.
- Prioritize your tasks by using the Eisenhower Matrix.
- Keep a gratitude journal.
- Take this Positive Intelligence quiz to learn how you might self-sabotage. You can work to change your thinking if you know your saboteurs.
- Realize that others are dealing with stressful situations too.